Report | 2023
E-Bike Environment and Economics Impact Assessment CalculatorDownload the report below
RMI’s E-Bike Environment and Economics Impact Assessment Calculator for Cities simplifies the process of assessing the impact of mode-shift from electric bikes (e-bikes) for policymakers, transportation officials, advocates, and other interested stakeholders. The tool estimates the impact of e-bikes as a substitute for short vehicle trips, based on a city-wide mode-shift to e-bikes goal; it also estimates the impact of an e-bike incentive program.
Environmental and economic impacts include:
- Reductions in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and air pollutants (NOx, PM2.5, and carbon monoxide) from reduced vehicle trips.
- Reductions in vehicle miles traveled (VMT) for short vehicle trips and total trips within a given city.
- Consumers’ economic savings due to reduced driving, realized by reduced fuel and maintenance costs.
If your city is not included in the calculator and you are interested in using this tool to assess the impact of e-bikes in your community, please reach out to Bryn Grunwald and request that your city be added.
Instructions on how to use the tool can be found in the “Introduction” tab of the calculator.
RMI would like to thank the following individuals for reviewing the calculator and providing valuable input and feedback:
- Mike Salisbury, City of Denver
- Ashley Seaward, People for Bikes
- G. Teeter, San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
- Sebastian Castellanos, World Resources Institute, New Urban Mobility Alliance